Here is a link to my Illustrations and other art i’ve done in the past including from foundation.
We were due to put up our show on March the 19th early in the morning, Neil helped me to get it in a taxi from the ADA building to Metal.
Once there i found a perfect free spot upstairs right in front of the window, positioning the plinth so that when you walked in through the doorway you could see the upside down triangle and so that there was enough space to walk all the way around i got to work on sticking the mirrors in.
Mirrors are incredibly difficult, i could not find any the exact size and so settled for some smaller then the space, saving me from having to try and cut them down to size, which i know would have been disastrous. But upon opening my bag with the mirrors in i noticed one had smashed; Never mind. I measured up the gaps and stuck in the other two which were undamaged using no more nails. I then went across the road from the train station to a patch of grass and not so sneakily acquired a perfect triangle to fit in the middle.
I measured a triangle and marked it off with three nearby twigs. As i did not have a spade i had to use my hands and scissors to try and pry it up, i ended up just taking it up in bits, shoving it in a bag and swiftly leaving before anyone said anything, there were probably better ways of getting grass, but i just wanted to get it over and done with.
This is the imprint now left in the patch of grass, i find it funny that people will walk past and wonder ‘What the hell is with that?’
So i placed the grass triangle into the base, a perfect fit and went back on the Tuesday with a spare mirror and glued it in. Complete at last.
I needed to decide what would go into the middle of the base, what would i want to be reflected an infinate amount of times?
I talked with Neil about a number of possibilities, litter and rubbish was one, covered in some kind of oil or tar, maybe bitumens. But decided against it as i thought it would be too messy.
Besides i wanted something more organic and so started thinking about maybe putting grass into the middle, turf or something with which could be bounced back, the way the earth should be, covered by greenery.
This is the piece cut out and glued together, the edges were all cut on angles to make the triangle flush.
The work had to be done by the technician as i had not had an induction, and so i just stood around instructing him on what to do.
Those are the rails setting in for the base to be nailed onto.
This is me stood next to the plinth for a sense of scale. It measures at 3.5ft high and 2ft each side. This is the plinth completed with the top lowered and nailed about half a foot down. I am very pleased with how it turned out, i know it looks simple but that was the look i was going for.